Connect with us

Entertainment

Disney will release Mulan online Sept. 4 on Disney Plus, for $30 in US

Published

on

It’ll cost roughly the same amount in other select countries, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a number of countries in Western Europe.

Disney will release its live-action film Mulan online through its Disney Plus service on Sept. 4, but it won’t be included as part of a standard subscription. Mulan will cost $30 in the US in addition to Disney Plus’ regular subscription fee, and it will be priced at roughly the same amount in international markets where it’ll be available online too, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a number of countries in Western Europe.

Don’t get your hopes up yet that other mega-budget films — like Marvel’s Black Widow with a theatrical release date set for Nov. 6 — necessarily will follow the same quick path onto your living-room TV. The company characterized Mulan’s release as a onetime deal, though it could serve as an experiment that guides its future release decisions.

“Mulan is a one-off,” Disney CEO Bob Chapek said Tuesday during a call that discussed the company’s fiscal third-quarter results. “That said, we find it very interesting to be able to … learn from it and see what happens, not only in terms of the uptake of the number of subscribers that we get on the platform but the actual number of transactions on the Disney Plus platform that we get.”

Mulan, which was supposed to open in theaters in March but had to delay the release date multiple times because of the coronavirus, will be available be available as what’s known as premium video on demand, which usually means a high-priced rental. But it will be offered exclusively through the company’s Disney Plus streaming service, seemingly holding out from other popular stores for online rentals like Apple’s TV app, Amazon Video and others.

The company will also release Mulan theatrically on Sept. 4 in markets where cinemas are open and where Disney Plus isn’t operating yet.

“We see this as an opportunity to bring this incredible film to a broad audience currently unable to go to movie theaters, while also further enhancing the value and attractiveness of the Disney Plus subscription with great content,” Chapek said.

The decision marks an unprecedented approach to releasing a big-budget movie that had been destined to be a blockbuster back when theaters were open worldwide. The coronavirus pandemic has shuttered cinemas around the globe and forced studios across the board to delay big-budget films for months and years, with no certainty in sight for when theaters can reopen at large or when audiences will feel comfortable sitting in windowless, enclosed rooms for hours.

It’s also a major defection from the rigid rules that usually keep new movies only in theaters for 75 days or more, as well as a surprising change to how Disney Plus has been pitched to audiences since it launched in November. Disney Plus is Disney’s online hub for streaming almost everything the company produces, but it was marketed as an all-you-can-eat buffet like Netflix, where your subscription unlocks everything on the platform to watch. Mulan will bring an a la carte transaction to Disney Plus that its 60 million subscribers haven’t yet encountered.

Disney’s changes underscore how disruptive the pandemic has been to Hollywood studios’ meticulously planned release cycles. With theaters closed and coronavirus preventive measures keeping people stuck at home, studios have mostly decided to keep pushing back the theatrical release dates for mega-budget pictures. But with their tentpole movies in a holding pattern, studios could be setting themselves up to all release a glut of movies on top of each other, crimping ticket sales.

Already, smaller-budget films began to go straight to online rentals or streaming services, such as Disney’s decision to release its Hamilton film and its young-adult sci-fi movie Artemis Fowl on Disney Plus rather than in theaters. And Universal has released new movies like DreamWorks Animation’s Trolls World Tour and others as special online rentals.

But Universal’s Trolls World Tour online release enraged cinemas, with US chain AMC even vowing it would ban Universal movies from its screens, including its blockbuster Fast & Furious franchise. Cinemas have doggedly clung to rules that keep new movies only in theaters for months, even as audiences have grown more accustomed to watching video when they want, where they want. Then last month Universal struck a deal with AMC to patch things up, promising to give theaters three weekends of exclusivity for new movies going forward in exchange for lifting the ban on its movies, a signal that cinemas are willing to compromise.

Disney, however, has been one of the Hollywood studios most dedicated to theatrical release. It’s decision to put out Mulan online reinforces the prospect that these alternative release strategies devised in the extraordinary circumstances of the pandemic may have lasting effects even after cinemas start reopening at large.

Disney Plus’ standard subscriptions costs $7 a month, or $70 a year, in the US. In Canada, Disney Plus is priced at C$9 a month, or C$90 per year.

In countries that are part of the euro zone, it is 7 euros, or 70 euros a year. In the UK, it is £6 a month, or £60 a year. In Australia, it’s priced at AU$9 a month, or AU$90 per year, while New Zealand subscribers pay NZ$10 per month, or NZ$100 per year. In India, Disney Plus Hotstar is priced at 299 Indian rupees a month, or 999 rupees a year. In Japan, Disney Plus is 700 yen a month through an exclusive partnership with Japanese telecom company NTT Docomo.

Entertainment

Die Hard’s Jeb Stuart to write ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Netflix series

Published

on

Die Hard scribe Stuart has been tapped to compose Netflix’s live-action adaptation of Assassin’s Creed, Deadline has affirmed.

The task has been being development at Netflix since 2020 as a part of a content deal with with Ubisoft to develop live-action, animated and anime series dependent on the international bestselling video game franchise.

Since it first launched in 2007, the Assassin’s Creed franchise has sold in excess of 155 million games worldwide to become one of the bestselling series in video game history. It was adjusted as a feature with the 2016 Assassin’s Creed directed by Justin Kurzel and featuring Michael Fassbender. In 2017, Ubisoft flagged its arrangements for an Assassin’s Creed TV series.

Stuart most recently created Netflix’s Vikings: Valhalla, the sequel of History’s Vikings series. He likewise wrote Netflix limited series The Liberator and features, for example, Die Hard, Another 48 Hours and The Fugitive.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jack Black and Ice Cube to star in Sony comedy ‘Oh Hell No’

Published

on

Jack Black and Ice Cube are joining for Sony satire Oh Hell No.

Black is in talks with star with Ice Cube in the project that follows the relationship of Sherman (Black) and Will (Cube) after Sherman falls in love with Will’s mother.

Kitao Sakurai, the filmmaker behind Netflix’s breakout satire Bad Trip, is set to direct from a script by Scot Armstrong (Old School), Tracy Oliver (Girls Trip), Jessica Gao (She-Hulk) and Rodney Rothman (Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse).

Matt Tolmach, who worked with Black on the Jumanji films, is producing through Matt Tolmach Productions with Black and Roz Music. Brittany Morrissey is directing for the studio.

Black was most recently seen in theaters with Jumanji: The Next Level, and is set for the profoundly expected Borderlands include adaption, playing beloved character Claptrap. He is repped by WME and Sloane Offer.

Ice Cube, repped by WME, Prospect Park and Ziffren Brittenham, was most recently seen in Searchlight’s The High Note and is set for a Universal sci-fi feature from Wanted chief Timur Bekmambetov.

Sakurai’s previous credit includes directing and executive producing The Eric Andre Show for Adult Swim, and as of late coordinating scenes for the second period of FX parody Dave and BJ Novak’s upcoming series Platform. He is repped by UTA, 3 Arts and Schreck Rose.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Ladies and Gentlemen’ : Mostofa Sarwar Farooki’s debut web series on ZEE 5

Published

on

A virtual press conference for the revealing of Mostofa Sarwar Farooki’s debut web series “Ladies and Gentlemen” was held today at 4 pm. The ZEE 5 original series will premiere universally on July 9.

Director Mostofa Sarwar Farooki, producer Nusrat Imrose Tisha, and ZEE5 Global’s Chief Business Officer Archana Anand were available at the meeting. The cast, including Maria Nur, Pavel Areen, Tanvir Hossain, Mamunur Rashid, Tasnia Farin, Hasan Masood, Partha Barua, Alexey Kosorukov, and Iresh Zaker were additionally in participation, among others. The meeting was facilitated by Aisha Khan.

The online meeting started with a welcome address by Archana Anand. “The entire journey of Zee 5 has been about bringing out quality content for the audiences, especially based in India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan and so far the response has been overwhelming. With internationally acclaimed director Mostofa Sarwar Farooki joining this goal, I hope we will be able to deliver more towards our promise,” she said in her speech.

This was trailed by the trailer debut. The 2 minutes and 21-second trailer showcases themes of gender equality and social stereotypes in such manner close by taboos related with womanhood.

Then, the stage was given to Mostafa Sarwar Farooki to share his perspectives and presentation experience. “As an independent filmmaker by nature, I have always been in favour of theatrical releases. However, entertainment consumption has taken a different shape in this pandemic,” he said. “OTTs have become crucial for us in such a situation, and the experience has been amazing.”

A behind the scene video was displayed through screen sharing at the live conference.

Maker Nusrat Imrose Tisha played a fundamental role with regards to choosing the cast for this creation. “This is my second production and it’s a blessing to work with Mostafa Sarwar Farooki. However as a producer, it was a challenge, as he keeps improvising,” she shared. “However, he took my advice while selecting the cast, especially in the case of Partha Barua and Tasnia Farin, and the unpredictability led to a lot of excitement and thrill for me.”

The online event finished with an inquiry and answer meeting where the floor was available to columnists and media agents to speak with the productions group and cast of “Ladies and Gentlemen”.

Mostafa Sarwar Farooki, who is known as perhaps the most prolific directors of Bangladesh, has acquired international awards for his work throughout the long term. His forthcoming project, “No Land’s Man” is a predominantly English film, which will feature Indian superstar Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Bangladeshi singer turned entertainer Tahsan Khan.

Continue Reading

Trending